Vermilion Advantage Events
Click here to nominate someone who inspires you.
|Melissa Heeren is a breath of fresh air and has an unusual perspective on life. She was recently diagnosed with stage four uterine cancer that has metastasized, yet her speech and presence are full of gratitude. “When you’re given a heads up, your approach to life completely shifts. This has allowed me to see life in a completely different way, and for that I am blessed.” Melissa approaches every day intentionally, living out each moment with specific purpose. “If I can teach and share –If I can help others, it is really important to me that I do that. We are all just walking this life doing the best we can.”
Melissa was born and raised in Danville and grew up on Grace Street in a neighborhood with all different types of people and families. Because of that, she appreciates the multi-cultural aspect of Danville so much. She now lives in a classic, midtown bungalow, and she knows many faces in this town through her 20+ years in the service industry working at restaurants and bars in Danville. Chances are, she has served you a meal or a drink at some point, and I guarantee she did it with a warm smile and a word of encouragement.
Melissa has five children, which is a big part of why she chose the service industry as her career path. “My priority was to be with my kids as much as possible while also having a job I enjoyed.” She retired from the service industry when her youngest daughter was sick and required her care fulltime. During this time, she picked up gardening and essential oil sales, and within 5 years, she grew her Young Living company to a team of nearly 3000 people. She says that her Young Living training and education experiences taught her about alternative and holistic approaches to health. Her mindset, spirituality, and leadership abilities grew tremendously as she developed her company. She carries this into her cancer treatment approach.
Reflecting, Melissa says all of her life experiences have made her open-minded, and “our mind is what has the capacity to heal us.” She is thankful for every experience that led her to this point, and she says, “We are all connected. We are one. The way we think of and talk about others is really a reflection of ourselves.”
Melissa, we thank you for living life with an open mind and an open heart, and for loving others with a most unique, healing perspective. You are a hero.
Vermilion Advantage News
The Secret to Negotiating a Win
Understand what the other party wants. Know it so well that you can repeat it back to them. To get there: (1) Ask questions. Listen to their answers. (2) Ask follow-up questions to deepen your understanding. (3) Once you feel you understand what they want, say it back to them. Did you get it? If so, move forward to what you want. Otherwise, repeat the steps above. It leads to BIGG sucess! Get more tips from BIGG Success here.
We can help with your Professional Recruitment and/or Short- or Long-Term Rental Needs – Vermilion Advantage can help our members with professional recruitment by taking your new employees or employment candidates on a (free) Community Tour. We can also help your current or new employees with rental referrals – we keep a word-of-mouth list of available home and apartment rentals, also including some furnished short-term corporate rentals, that the public may not be aware of through other channels. In addition, we have some lovely extended-stay hotel suite options. And, if you have professional rental properties coming available, make sure Nicole has your property on her list! Questions? Call Nicole at 217-442-6201 or email her at [email protected]
Data-Driven Procurement and Consulting For 23 years, APPI Energy has remained a trusted name as the preferred provider of energy consulting services for 158 trade associations and chambers of commerce including Vermilion Advantage. We provide our clients with recommendations designed to save time, reduce expenses, and create budget certainty during the energy procurement process. Find out more at www.appienergy.com.
Illinois Angel Investment Tax Credit – see news release here
Vermilion Advantage Job Board – For current, local job opportunities posted directly by employers, please see the Vermilion County Jobs Board at www.vermilionadvantage.com/job-board – Vermilion Advantage is Vermilion County, Illinois’ electronic resource for career and occupational opportunities, employer profiles, career information, K-16 education programs and partnerships in our area. Learn more about local training through Danville Area Community College and other local training resources. It’s all here. If you need help to be set up as a user on our Vermilion County Jobs Board page to post job openings, please contact Vermilion Advantage at 217-442-6201.
Share Your Stories & “All A’s” – These Member Announcements & the Inside Vermilion County magazine are here to help you share your stories & your “Awards, Achievements, and Accolades” for your business or your employees. Everyone has a story – successes, challenges, great employees, there are good stories about every one of your businesses that you can share with the community. Please tell us your story by email at [email protected] or contact us at 217-442-6201.
|The Haas Corporation builds the CNC machines used at Danville Area Community College for teaching manufacturing students and has provided more than $56,000 in scholarship support since 2017. This year’s “Big Check” donation from Haas will help pay for the tuition, fees, books, and tools for three students studying to be CNC technologists. The Haas Foundation funds the scholarships through the DACC Foundation under Tonya Hill. DACC Professors Todd Flessner and Doug Hunter and Dean Terri Cummings lead the DACC manufacturing programs.
| Education Announcements
DACC Corporate Education 2022-2023 Training Opportunities – see flyer here
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee is now accepting applications until December 9th for the MLK Scholarship – see news release here
| Health Care Announcements
Crosspoint Human Services Offers Mental Health & Psychiatric Services – see news release here
Rosecrance “On You Radar” Podcast – See “Our Stressors and How They Affect Us” episode here
Vermilion County Mental Health 708 Board is offering Mental Health First Aid Trainings
Training schedule here
Adult Mental Health First Aid flyer here
Youth Mental Health First Aid flyer here
B&B Construction: “7 Years straight now we have handed out just more than just a turkey but a whole meal that will feed 6 plus people! That’s 600 plus people we get to feed and take some stress off of them for a nice relaxing day with their loved ones!! We enjoy giving back!”
112 Wine and Coffee Shoppe: “Thanksgiving is right around the corner and we wanted to remind you about our free Thanksgiving Meal giveaway. The menu for the day is Turkey Tetrazzini, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roll, and a cookie. These meals are available to anyone. We’ll be handing them out from 10am to noon on Thanksgiving day. We will be preparing 400 meals. All meals will be passed out curb side, you don’t even have to get out of your car. We feel blessed to be a part of this community and this is one way that we choose to give back. “
Announcements & Community
|Doug Ireland – Prudential Advisor
Whether you’re working with an FSA, HSA, or HRA, we outlined a dozen health care costs you might not know are eligible. 12 surprising things you can buy with your FSA, HSA, or HRA | Financial Wellness (prudential.com)
The Citizens Police Academy is a free opportunity to take a unique look at your Police Department – see news release here
Illinois Housing Development Association’s Court-Based Rental Assistance Program (CBRAP) is a court-based rental assistance program for people who are facing eviction and are in court proceeding – see program information here
The Salvation Army is in need of Volunteer Bell Ringers – see flyer here
A successful Christmas Season is vital to The Salvation Army – see flyer here
The Salvation Army of Vermilion County Partners with Burlington & Delivering Good – see news release here
2022 Road Project Press release – see news release here
Danville Boat Club is taking reservations for your Holiday Parties & Gatherings – see flyer here
It’s Time to Plan for your Christmas Party at the Danville Country Club – see flyer here
Red Mask Players 2022-2023 Sponsorship Opportunities – see flyer here
DLO Invites you to become a 2022-2023 Season Member – see flyer here
DLO would like your support – see support opportunities here; see ad flyer here
DSO 2022-2023 Concert Season Program Ad Opportunity – see flyer here
DSO Beautiful Season of Music – see flyer here
ECICAA Announces the Start of the Energy Assistance Program
see news release here
MidWest America Federal Credit Union Share Certificate Special
see flyer here
Mimi’s Kitchen & Catering Menu Options
see buffet pricing here
see appetizer menu here
see entrée menu here
see dessert menu here
Healthy Eating Options menu here.
Motley Food Menu Options
see menu here. Visit
Upcoming Member Events
City of Danville Holiday Activities and Calendar – see activities here; see calendar here
November 25 Downtown Danville Lighting Ceremony – see flyer here
November 26 Judy Collins Holiday & Hits Tour – see flyer here
November 26 Boxcar books & Vinyl Grand Opening – visit website here
November 27-December 3 Gateway Family Services & Hooves of Hope invite you to Christmas in the Barn brought to you by Robinson Chiropractic – see schedule of events here
November 29 Swan Pond Holiday Lighting – see flyer here
November 29 Radiothon & Tree Lighting at the Danville Public Library
see flyer here
December 2 Night of Lights Parade – see flyer here
December 2 Dueling Pianos Holiday Edition at Snappers – see flyer here
December 2 American Legion Fish Fry – see flyer here
December 3 V.F.W. Holiday Stop & Shop Event – see flyer here
December 4 Vermilion County Conservation District BHHA Open house – see flyer here
December 9 & 10 Glo Bingo – see flyer here
December 10 Danville Boat Club Presents Breakfast with Santa – see flyer here
December 18 DSO Present The Nutcracker – see flyer here
Danville Public Library – see upcoming events here
Oakwood Public Library – see upcoming events here
112 Wine and Coffee Shoppe:
- Shoppe Hours: Monday-Thursday: 6:00AM-10:00PM; Friday & Saturday: 6:00AM-11:00pm & Sunday: 8:00AM-2:00PM
- Game Room Bar: Now open with live music every Friday Night in June, July, & August – see news release here. See full menu at www.112wine.com.
- November 24: Free Thanksgiving Meal Giveaway from 10:00am – Noon. The menu for the day is Turkey Tetrazzini, mashed potatoes, stuffing, roll and a cookie. Meals are available to anyone – all meals will be passed out curb side.
Big Thorn Farm & Brewery:
- Bar Hours: Friday 3:00-9:00PM, Saturday Noon-9:00PM, Sunday 10:00AM–4:00PM
- November 23: Thanksgiving Eve join us for a special Wednesday Opening of the Greenhouse bar.
- November 25: Mad Friday – Beer is better than shopping! Come drink fresh Mad Coffee Beers at the brewery.
- All Mad Coffee beers are fermented with on fresh beans from our friends at Mad Goat Roastery in Danville. Also try our Mad Pork Sandwich from the Truck
Danville Boat Club:
- Tuesdays: Members & Invited Guests Big Burger Tuesdays, Doors open at 5:00PM, Food orders begin at 5:30PM. Big burgers with fries $10 several burger, shrimp and chicken options. Burger with chips $9. Hot bar $10 Ham, Cheesy Potatoes, Baked Beans, Rolls
- No lunch Thursday – Happy Thanksgiving!
- December 10: Breakfast with Santa
Danville Farmer’s Market: (First Presbyterian Church 100 N. Franklin, Danville)
- December 3 – Special guest Danville Art League will be selling their pecans and chocolate covered nuts!
- February 4
- March 4
- April 1
- Hours are 10:00AM-2:00PM
Danville V.F.W. Post #728:
- Sundays: Bingo at 2:00PM.
Downtown Danville First Friday Events:
- December 2: Night of Lights Parade
- Learn more about First Fridays here; See Sponsorship opportunities here; see 2023 schedule here
- For questions or more information contact Ashton Greer at [email protected]
- December 3: Dr. Duke Tumatoe in concert
- December 4: Danville Barbershop Chorus – Bringing Home Christmas
- Visit atthefischer.com for ticket information
Sleepy Creek Vineyards:
- Mondays: Yoga & Wine with Linda every Monday; Doors open at 5:30PM Class begins at 6:00PM, Cost is $10
- Tuesdays: Yoga & Wine with Mandy every Tuesday; Doors open at 5:30PM Class begins at 6:00PM, Cost is $10.
- November 23: Thanksgiving Eve – Music & Wine 6:30PM-9:30PM
- November 25: Black Friday Wine Down 2022 12:00PM-10:00PM
- November 26: Howl2Go Dueling Piano Holiday Show $35 per person
- November 27: Live music series – Billy Galt Solo 3:00PM-5:00PM
- Sundays: Winey Mary Bar Every Sunday Noon-6:00PM
- Sleepy Creek Hours: Sunday-Tuesday Noon-6:00PM; Wednesday-Thursday-Saturday Noon-7:00PM & Friday Noon-9:00PM. Please visit our Facebook page at Sleepy Creek Vineyards or online at www.sleepycreekvineyards.com for updates
- I have quite the deal for you! Whether you are doing your holiday shopping on Black Friday, Small Business Saturday or Cyber Monday, you’ll be able to save 10% off any Super Penguin orders at SuperPenguinBook.com. There are no limits or minimum order requirements, just use the code SUPER10 at checkout for your deal!
- Wednesdays: Queen of Hearts Drawing – see info here & see the winning pot each week on Facebook.
- December 2: Dueling Pianos Holiday Edition
Westville American Legion Post 51:
- Wednesdays: Queen of Hearts Drawing at 7:00PM. Tickets $1.00.
- Thursdays: Tacos/Nachos with Bob Schifo from 5:30-7:30PM
American Legion Post 210:
- Friday Dinner served 5:00PM-7:00PM with options of beer battered fish, shrimp, and a variety of sandwiches